1. Strawberries. Strawberries naturally contain salicylic acid, which is found in many drugstore and high end acne products. Strawberries work well in treating acne and pigmentation problems! And they taste great too!
2. Oats. The same oats that are in your morning oatmeal work very well to exfoliate your face. They are gentle enough that they do not change the skins pH, which is why they are used to treat eczema. They soften and moisturize the skin. They also sooth puffy irritated skin as well. I will post a tutorial on a super simple oat facial mask later this week.
3. Yogurt (plain). The probiotic bacteria in yogurt kills off the bacteria that causes acne. When buying yogurt, make sure that is is organic and pasturized before the bacteria is cultivated. Many yogurts in supermarkets contain almost no live bacteria so if you use them on your face, it won't do anything.
4. Papaya. This one probably isn't in most kitchens, but a short trip away at the supermarket. Papaya is a natural skin lightener, so it helps treat skin discolorations and uneven pigmentation and age spots. It is also rich in antioxidants. And since it contains an enzyme papain, it is a natural non abrasive exfoliant. People pay a lot of money for facials that incorporate papaya, but you can mix up a facial at home for pennies!
5. Avocado. Avocados are incredibly hydrating, and not just for your skin, but your hair also. It super easy to mash up a bit of it and just spread it wherever you need some moisture. It will leave your skin smooth and supple and your hair very shiny.
That's it for this week!