Monday, January 17, 2011

{Review} The Body Shop Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash


If you remember from my Black Friday haul, I purchased a lot of stuff from The Body Shop, several items being from the tea tree oil line aimed at fighting acne. Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is naturally antimicrobial, so it can kill the bacteria that causes acne. Although it isn't as effective as other anti acne treatments such as salicylic acid or benzol peroxide, it has fewer side effects like burning, itching, or drying. If you have mild acne acne, this may be a great option for you!


I know a lot of people worry when they read that the abrasive in the exfoliate is a crushed apricot core, but this exfoliate doesn't have that much abrasive in it at all. It's nothing like the St. Ives Apricot Scrub which is packed with abrasive. This is much gentler and shouldn't irritate skin too much. Unless you have very sensitive skin there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to use this daily.


The packaging is just a simple squeeze tube.

The product:

As you can see it is a VERY BRIGHT shade of green. And those aren't beeds, they're all different sizes.


As you can see, there isn't a lot of abrasive in the scrub, so if you wanted to you could use this daily, unless you have very sensitive skin. I like it. It's not the greatest acne scrub, but it's not the worst. I like that it's gentile. I've used so many acne cleansers that completely strip the skin leaving it dry, tight, and red. I think this is more of a cleanser than a scrub, though, because it doesn't have very much abrasive in it and the exfoliation is at a minimum. As for clearing blackheads, it does get rid of some of them, but definitely not all. I've been using this for several weeks and while I do think it helps keep my acne under control, it hasn't gotten rid of all my blackheads. I do have fewer blackheads, so there is that. I like how it leaves the skin feeling very very clean but not stripped while still treating acne. That's the biggie for me with this one. It's not much of a scrub, but it is a great cleanser. And at $13 it's not priced unreasonably at all. I've paid a lot more for a cleanser that hasn't performed this well.

Pros:
-Good cleanser.
-Gently treats acne.
-Not too horrible price.
-Not harsh on skin like acids can be.

Cons:
-Not really a scrub.
-Not as effective at treating acne as stronger acids.

Info:

Price: $13

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Steareth-21, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Propanediol, Silica, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 60, Palmitic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Seed Powder, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Panthenol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Myristic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Lauric Acid, Limonene, Leptospermum Petersonii (Lemon Tea Tree) Oil, Tocopherol, Caramel, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was purchased by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any questions about disclosure don't hesitate to ask in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment