Tuesday, January 11, 2011

{Reader Question} Why don't I purchase a lot of Mac makeup?



I was asked this question on my Formspring, and I thought I'd address it here instead because it is makeup related. First off, it's not a matter of price. Compared to other high end cosmetics brands like Chanel, YSL, Dior, etc, Mac makeup isn't that expensive. For instance, a Mac single eyeshadow is $14.50 while Estee Lauder is $20, Dior is $28, Shiseido is $25, etc. I has to do more with how I go about buying makeup. I have a fairly large collection, so if I already have a similar shade from another brand, I am not likely to purchase one from Mac that comes out from a new collection. I look for uniqueness in a product. Another thing is that Mac isn't sold at Sephora. I get a lot of gift cards to Sephora and am therefore more likely to shop there instead of spending my own money (not that I don't spend A LOT of my money on makeup else where). And finally, I feel like Mac releases too many collections. I mean, they have something around 20 collections each year. That's crazy! Most high end brands have four or five at the most! I feel like Mac tries to get me to buy makeup just because it's limited edition. Proof: Stereo Rose. It was sold out every where weeks before the collection even launched! That's insane! It's not like I'm never going to find a similar shade. I just feel that it is excessive sometimes. Combined with reasons number one and two, it's not entirely unreasonable that I don't purchase a lot of Mac makeup. It has nothing to do with pricing or just being against the brand. I just spend my money a bit more deliberately. What about you? How do you feel about the number of collections that Mac releases every year? What about they're pricing? Let me know in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment