Wednesday, January 5, 2011

{Tip Thursday} 5 Ways to Treat Oily Skin EFFECTIVELY



This Tip Thursday segment is all about oily skin. Having oily skin, I know all about how difficult it can be to look good during the day, to get a decent makeup application, etc, when my skin looks greasy. I do have some tips and tricks that REALLY WORK EFFECTIVELY and don't cost an arm and a leg. I have a lot of friends who spend a lot of money on expensive skin care products that end up actually worsening their skin in the long run. Here are some simple and easy tips and tricks that really have helped me get my skin under control.

1. Limit your use of harsh acids and peroxides. This one is a BIGGIE!!! Exposing your skin to very harsh acids like salicylic acid or peroxides like benzoyl peroxide can actually worsen your skin because they tend to be extremely drying. They strip the skin of any natural oils and moisturizers and your skin kinda panics and secrets EVEN MORE OIL!!! That is the exact opposite of what you want! If you have a problem with acne, try less harsh products like tea tree oil. It's natural, non-drying, but still very effective!

2. Don't skin the moisturizer! I used to do this as a teen. I would be so afraid of adding more oil/grease to my face in the form of a moisturizer that for years I didn't use one at all. Instead, what you should be doing is using a lighter moisturizer, preferably one with some SPF in it, a minimum of 15. What I do is I use a lighter moisturizer during the day, my Clinique DD GEL and then at night I use a heavier one, which has lately been my Philosophy Hope in a Jar because it's been so cold out.

3. Use a moisturizing, non-alcoholic toner. I used to use Clinique's Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion (idk why they call it a lotion when it really is a toner), but it was so harsh that the alcohol and salicylic acid would make my eyes burn when I was applying it and made the skin around my chin peel and look bumpy and blotchy. I looked like I had a rash. I now use a Fix + type spray that I mix up myself every couple of weeks. It's a mixture of water, glycerine, tea tree oil, and argan oil. It's incredibly effective because of the tea tree oil, but also moisturizing because of the glycerine and argan oil. My skin feels very smooth and soft after I use it, but not oily or greasy in the least. I will post a tutorial on how I make this week.

4. Use blotting sheets instead of powder daily. Excessive powdering can lead to clogged pores and therefore more acne and oil. Generally, wear the least amount of face makeup as possible. If you don't need a lot of foundation or powder, than don't use them because they do not help your skin at all in terms of treatment. Powder isn't the villain everyone makes it out to be, but reapplying it several times a day to keep your face matte won't let your skin breath and that can worsen your skin as well.

5. Make sure you remove all of your makeup thoroughly EVERY NIGHT, but do not wash your face more than twice a day or exfoliate more than twice a week. This is for the same reason as to #1. Over-washing/scrubbing can lead to stripped skin, and make your skin increase it's oil production in response. And going to sleep with makeup on is one of the worst thing you can do for oily skin because oily skin is often prone to break outs, and not washing your makeup on increases your chances of getting a surface infection or clogging your pores and causing more oiliness/acne.

No comments:

Post a Comment