Saturday, February 26, 2011

{Review} Smith's Rose Bud Salve

I've always liked rose flavored balms. The first I ever tried was some no name brand one I got in some little shop when I was on Brighton Beach in NY. Since then I've tried quite a few, the last being C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve (review here). I really liked it and it lasted forever. This time I decided to try Smith's Rose Bud salve. For all intents and purposes, it's almost the exact same product from formula to packaging to scent.

I love the vintage looking packaging of this balm. While the C.O. Bigelow one also has the oversize tin, this one seems to have a bit more character. I feel like I found it at some vintage shop :)

I also like how simple the ingredients list is. For some reason the fewer ingredients in a product the more I trust that it's not harmful or too chemically, etc. It is petroleum based (like the Vaseline stuff), so if you really don't want to shell out the money, Vaseline's a pretty good dupe without the rose scent.

Like the C.O. Bigelow balm, it looks pink in the pan, but applies completely clear. And you get a HUGE amount.

A swatch:
As you can see, it's a completely clear balm that has a slightly glossy finish. I like how it has a glossy finish and is a bit thinner than some balms because it makes my lips feel and look more hydrated. I really dislike very waxy balms that look matte. This one looks very natural but with a slight sheen which makes my lips look very healthy.

If you like rose scented products you will love this balm. I do admit that every now and then if I have a headache or something the scent can be a bit cloying, but I am prone to headaches and scents do trigger me. It doesn't smell old lady like or anything like that. I feel like rose scents are sometimes categorized as grandma-ish. This one is light and is gone after a few minutes of wear.

Another thing I like about this balm is how multipurpose it is. You can use it on dry patches, minor burns, cuticles, etc. You need to be hyegenic about it of course and make sure your hands are clean when you dip into the pot.

The only other negatives I can think of with this product are that it's a bit hard to open sometimes and since the balm is so soft you can't leave it in your car or take it to the beach, etc. I left my C.O. Bigelow one in the cup holder sideways and the balm had melted and then set sideways in the container, haha! Other than that it is a good buy and I highly recommend!

Pros:
-Cute vintage/old fashioned packaging.
-Very moisturizing.
-Multipurpose.
-Smells good!
-Glossy finish.
-HUGE amount for cheap price!

Cons:
-Hard to open sometimes.
-Balm is soft so may melt if you leave in the car, etc.
-Packaging unhygenic if you use it on your body and lips or without clean fingers.

Info:

Price: $6

Ingredients: Ingredients Pertolatum, Lanolin Alcohol, Synthetic Wax, Natural Flavor, Artificial Flavor.

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was purchased by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment