Sunday, February 13, 2011

{Review} Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock

So this review is of something I've been waiting quite some time for drugstore companies to do. I've always preferred liquid sunblocks (as opposed to creams and lotions), but it's not something that an drugstore companies have put out yet, until now that is. I love it when there is a drugstore alternative to a very expensive high end product that performs just as well!

Helioplex technology is designed to combine to active ingredients in sunblocks, avobenzone and oxybenzone to protect agains both UVA and UVB in such a way that it prevents the sun from breaking them down and reducing effectiveness.

Like ndoodles (from Make Up Theory) commented, you don't want to overprotect because then you risk having a vitamin D deficiency. Also, you should consider that a very high SPF, like the 70 of this sunblock, is possible because they add more chemicals to it and you are therefore putting more chemicals on your face. Whenever you are choosing a sunblock remember that anything more than SPF 30 doesn't protect you more but rather for a longer period of time. But also remember that studies have shown that people only wear about half the SPF that they actually think they are because they aren't applying enough (like if you rely on you moisturizer for the SPF). This sunblock only comes in SPF 55 or 70 so you don't really have much of a choice with this one.

What really got me about this foundation is that it claims to layer invisibly under makeup. If you've ever tried to use a regular sunblock before applying makeup (not one in a moisturizer) then you know how uncomfortable it can feel on the skin. I've got pretty oily skin so if I wear a cream sunblock my skin will feel more greasy and heavy, like I'm wearing a lot of makeup and have a mask on my face. I detest that feeling which is why for years I went completely without sunblock (beyond what was in the occasional moisturizer). This liquid formula really does layer very well under makeup!!!

Another plus for this product is the dispenser. It makes it really easy to get jus the right about without wasting any product. 1.4 fl oz seems very small at first, but when you only need 3 to 5 drops to cover your entire face and part of your neck, you realize that a little goes a really long way.

the formula really is liquid.

If you just put a drop on the back of your hand it will flow down.

It also spreads very easily. Other cream formulas you have to really rub in and it takes forever, but this one flows really well on the skin.

Right after applying:
It does take about a minute to set. Not long at all, but when you first apply it it does look a teeny bit greasy. As soon as it sets it's not greasy looking at all.

After a couple of minutes:

As you can see, it pretty much sets to a normal skin texture. By that I mean that it doesn't give a matte finish like some Asian liquid sunblocks. It just looks like I put on a light light moisturizer.

I love this product! It makes getting my sun protection very easy and hassle free. I've been wearing this for almost two weeks now and I really do like the way it wears. First off, it absorbs very quickly, no more than a couple of minutes. It feels kind of like a moisturizer. And I don't know what else they put in the formula but my skin feels very soft at night when I take my makeup off, much softer than before I started using this product. Also, my makeup applies and wears just they way it would without the sunblock. With some sunblocks makeup tends to apply patchy or sheer over it. Not the case with this one. It doesn't make my skin more greasy or matte, so I don't have to powder and more or less than I usually would. I wish it was more mattifying, but to be honest I'm just glad it doesn't make me oilier. It also doesn't make me breakout.

The only real negative I can think of with this product is that it does still have that annoying sunblock smell. High end products tend to not have that smell or smell more refreshing and less cloying. But the smell goes away fairly quickly after application, so it's not that big of a deal. Also, some might cringe at the $11.99 price tag for a drugstore product, but for a sunblock that really isn't excessive at all and with the liquid formula a little goes a long way. I really would pay more for a sunblock like this. I've paid upwards of $50 for the Shiseido one alone.

All in all this is a great buy for anyone looking to protect your skin without disrupting your makeup or wallet overmuch. I highly recommend!!!

Pros:
-Dries quickly.
-No greasy film.
-High SPF with UVA and UVB protection.
-Leaves my skin very soft.
-Very light feel.
-Really does layer invisibly under makeup.
-Good price.
-Sleek travel friendly packaging.

Cons:
-Still smells like sunblock.
-Doesn't really mattify.

Info:

Price: $11.99

Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%, Oxybenzone 5%. Water, cetyl dimethicone, silica, styrene/acrylates copolymer, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, ethylhexylglycerin, steareth-100, caprylyl glycol, pentylene glycol, steareth-2, cyclopentasiloxane, polyester-7, chlorphenesin, bisabolol, disodium EDTA, acrylates/dimethicone copolymer, butylene glycol, BHT, mannan, xanthan gum, polymethyl methacrylate, camellia oleifera leaf extract, diethylhexyl 2,6-naphthalate, tocopheryl acetate, portulaca oleracea extract, pantothenic acide, retinyl palmitate, ascorbic acid, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was purchased by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment