Saturday, February 26, 2011

{Review} Sephora Eyeshadow in Choco Excess

I don't buy a lot of Sephora brand makeup, so when something really really catches my eye it is usually something spectacular. This color, Choco Excess (number 19) is absolutely STUNNING!!! The problem is everything else about it. Not even the gorgeous color can even come close to making up for how difficult it is to work with this eyeshadow.


Look at this color!!! Click on the pic and zoom in, cause it absolutely gorgeous!!! It's a warm brown loaded with A TON of silvery glitter.

A swatch:

Another swatch:

And now, you can kinda see what I was talking about before. This eyeshadow is HARD. HARD AND CHUNKY AND GRITTY. If I use a brush to apply this product then I end up with not only fallout but also glitter every where all over my face and clothes. If I use a sponge tip applicator (like I used to swatch) same thing happens. If I apply it wet it becomes impossible to blend it out. There's no winning with this eyeshadow!

I don't know why the texture of this shadow is so hard. I've used Sephora brand eyeshadows before and while they've never been my favorite I've never had an eyeshadow be this hard, scratchy, and gritty. Part of the problem is that there is nothing holding the glitter in the shadow so after you blend out the shimmery, glittery goodness of the eyeshadow in the pan doesn't translate onto the eye.

For $12 you cold buy several drugstore eyeshadows that are much better quality than this one from Sephora. Or add a few bucks and get a MAC shadow. I wish I could say I love this shadow cause the color is so pretty and unique, but sadly the formula of it just doesn't cut it.

Pros:
-Very pretty color.
-Reasonably priced.
-Nice packaging.

Cons:
-Gritty and very hard.
-Glitter doesn't stick, ends up EVERYWHERE.
-Hard to work with, even to just et it on a brush.
-Doesn't blend well.

Info:

Price: $12

Ingredients: Polyethylene Terephthalate, Mica, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), Magnesium Myristate, Talc, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Phenyl Trimethicone, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone, Polybutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyurethane-11, Phenoxyethanol, Maltodextrin, Sorbic Acid, BHT, CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tin Oxide.

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was purchased by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure don't hesitate to ask in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment