Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Calvin Klein Lip Gloss Trio


this is going to be a review for a trio of Calvin Klein lip glosses (two regular and a plumper) that I got in a set at Marshalls for only $10 (woohoo!!!). The shades that came in the one I purchased are, from top to bottom, Radar, Parfait, and Georgia. Georgia is the lip plumper, supposedly, and if you look carefully, it's tube is slightly larger than the other two glosses.


The packaging of these glosses is absolutely beautiful. I think I even mentioned in my other review of a CK plumper (here) that the lettering on the top of the cap reminds me a bit of the Chanel logo on the glossimers. Very simple, yet sophisticated.

Again, the shades I purchased:

(L to R) Georgia is a sheer peach with golden shimmer. Parfait is a matte sheer pink. Radar is a nude with silver, gold, and pink shimmer in it. Of the three, Radar is my fave, and you'll see why in just a bit!

The applicators:

Top to bottom: Georgia (the plumper), Parfait, and Radar.
You'll notice that the lip plumper has a brush applicator while the regular glosses have a standard doe foot. I like the doe foot applicators better. I feel that the brush applicators that come with glosses tend to deposit too much product and leave my lips feeling gooey and gross. This one is no different. I really have to be careful when I apply Georgia because I can very easily put on too much and feel really gross. I think that the brush applicator is also why you notice some "plumping." I don't actually think that Georgia plumps my lips, but they have the illusion of being larger because of the copious amount of product on them.

Some lip swatches:

Parfait. Parfait is nice in that it's a bit cool toned so t gives you a very fresh look and perks up the skin tone. It also evens out my natural lip color. My lips tend to be slightly darker on the outer edges than on the inside (especially on the upper lip), but this gloss evens them out nicely.


Radar. My absolute fave <3!


Georgia. Georgia is actually a bit more orange in person. It's ok except for that you need to be careful about not over applying.

I like these glosses. While the formulas are nothing special, the shades are absolutely stunning especially Radar. I've been wearing it practically non stop for weeks! I should warn however, that they can be a bit on the thick side and slightly tacky (although nowhere near as bad as MAC lip glasses, for comparison), so I'd advise wearing them over a balm. What's also good is that these are fragrance free so they won't annoy people who don't like scented glosses. These glosses give amazing shine! They have a very high lacquer finish, so even if you're wearing a light shade you can go easy on the eye makeup and still look made up. The only other complaint I have is that Georgia, the plumper, isn't actually a plumper. The gloss will give the illusion of larger lips like any gloss, but from the ingredients list as well as my experience with not one but tow different shades it doesn't actually (chemically) plump your lips. It's a great gloss, though! At $10 these are a steal. I only regret that I didn't get a few more shades, haha!

Info:

Price: $10 (for three at Marshall's-will probably cost more separately.)

Ingredients:

Plumping: Polybutene, Caprylic, Capric Triglyceride, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Silica Silylate, Menthol, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Capsicum Frutescens Resin, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Atelocollagen (May Contain) Mica, Ci 15850,Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7, Red 7 Lake, Ci 15985, Yellow 6 Lake, Ci 19140, Yellow 5 Lake, Ci 42090, Blue 1 Lake, Ci 45410, Red 27 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Ci 73360, Red 30 Lake, Ci 75470, Carmine, Ci 77491, 77492, 77499, Iron Oxides, Ci 77891, Titanium Dioxide

Regular: (not listed on packaging and I haven't been able to find them online. I'll post if I do.)

Disclosure: The products featured in this post were bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I like the brush applicators better. They give a glossier finish than the doe foot ones. And I looooooooove that peachy shade. It actually reminds me a bit of Nars Orgasm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk, i'm not really a big fan of gloss to begin with, what w/how my hair always sticks to it, so more goopy lips=worse hair problem :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got long hair and when it gets stuck in gloss, it's just soooo annoying. And it is really embarrassing to pick out when you're talking to someone else, haha!

    ReplyDelete