Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hit Pan! Mini Review + Swatches of My Laura Mercier Palette


So I finally hit pan in a lot of my Laura Mercier eyeshadows. I bought the palette and the pans at Sephora around Christmas last year and thought, based on the huge eyeshadows, that I'd never finish any of them. Much to my surprise, except for the blush and one eyeshadow, I've dented all of them!!! I always feel so accomplished when I hit pan just because it proves to me that I'm not just hoarding makeup. I'm actually using it, you know? I know many other makeup lovers out there feel the same way. It's like you buy, and you buy, and you buy, and one day you look up and you're like, "What the heck happened!? How did I get THIS much makeup!?" I've really been focusing lately on finishing a few products as opposed to using a little bit of everything I own, and it's working!

Ok, so back to the palette. One of the reasons I chose to buy this palette from Laura Mercier because it reminded me so much of Bobbi Brown's customizable palette. They're both dark, come in a variety of sizes, and you can fill them with whatever shades you want. In my opinion you get much more variety with the Bobbi Brown palette as you can also put in cream foundation, concealer, and lip colors (with overs so they don't get gross!) while with the LM palette you're limited to eye and cheek powders, as well as some cake liners. However, I do like LM products very much and decided to try it out. Be prepared for a ton of pics, too!!!


One downside of the packaging--shows every single print and smudge. The upside? It's a dark color (dark shimmery reddish brown black) that is very simple, sophisticated, and elegant. I wish it was black, but that's just my preference. It also comes with a really big mirror which is very convenient.

Here's the inside:

I got the one that fits six powders--there's also one that fits three. I only bought five to put in the palette, and they were crazy expensive. One of the huge downsides of these customizable palettes is that each part costs a lot. Each eyeshadow was $22, the blush was $24. I was going to get a cake liner in black for $22, but they were out. The actual palette was only $10 (the one that fits three is also $10).

Here are the shades I got:

Vanilla Nuts is just a matte beige:




Deep Night is a purple based black:



It looks like it's got shimmer, but it's just matte. I've been using this one and the next one, black plum, which is actually a dark brown, as eyeliners (by applying them with a damp brush), which is why they look kinda weird.

Black Plum, unlike the name, is actually a matte, cool brown:




Rose is a light pink with golden shimmer:



It looks really nice with Black Plum (the brown) if layered into the crease.

And finally, Rose Bloom, which is my lone blush:

It really is more orange than rosy.



Some swatches:

L to R, Vanilla Nuts, Rose, Rose Bloom, Black Plum, Deep Night.

As you can see, with the exception of the Rose eyeshadow, they are all really nice matte shades. One thing I really like about the eyeshadows especially is how pigmented by hard they are. A lot of eyeshadows, while pigmented, are really soft and tend to crumble. I've got no such problem with these. I just barely touch the powder with a brush and there's enough for wear, which is great cause they'll definitely last. While this is great for the eyeshadows, you kinda have to be a bit more careful with the blush. It is very pigmented so it's easy to apply too much. And this stuff is pretty heavy duty, so fixing a mistake like that is difficult. On the other hand, the lasting power of these blushes and eyeshadows is superb. I put them on in the morning and they are there till I take them off. Often times, when I apply an eyeshadow with a damp brush as a liner the lasting power is not so good, but with Deep Night, if I apply a winged liner in the morning, it lasts and lasts. Overall, Laura Mercier products are of great quality and I highly recommend them. There are a lot of great shades to choose from in different finishes, not just matte, so there is something for everyone. And I have to say that the fact that the product ingredients were listed right on the site was very helpful! There are also some hints for application withe just about every single product, so check them out here. Wow, I just realized this wasn't such a short review, haha!

Info:

Price (eyeshadow): $22

Price (blush): $24

Price (palette): $10

Ingredients (eyeshadow): Talc, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Zinc Stearate, Mica, Silica, Dimethicone, Isonoyl Isononanoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Synthetic Beeswax, Tetrasodium EDTA. (+/-): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77007 (Ultramarines).

Ingredients (blush): Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Methicone, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Lauroyl Lysine, Squalane, Phenoxyethanol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silk Powder (Serica), Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glycerin, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). (+/-): Carmine (CI 75470), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Ferric Ferrocyanide (Ci 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140).

Disclosure: The products featured in this post were bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment