Thursday, July 26, 2012

{Review} Smashbox High Definition Concealer

Hi there! Today's review is for a product I bought a long long time ago that I never got around to reviewing because I honestly wasn't using it enough to get a true opinion on it. I'm talking about the Smashbox High Definition Concealer. I purcahsed it the same time I got their gel liner (full review of that liner here!), but aside from the odd pimple here and there I wasn't using this product on a daily basis. I recently went through my stash, found it again, and really started using it. And I've gotta say, this is a great concealer!



















The shade I own this concealer in is fair/light. I don't remember them having a huge selection of shades, but this one fits my skin pretty well.



















The dispenser on this product is a slanted tip with a little hole. While it's not bad by any means, I think I would have preferred one of those pointy tip dispensers (like the one on the MUFE concealer). I feel like there is no reason for the slanted tip--I never apply this directly to my skin, I usually put some on my finger and dot it, or use a brush. Also, I need just the smallest amount of this stuff, and this type of dispenser makes it a little more difficult to judge how much is coming out. It's also a bit messier in the cap.



















I don't know how well you can tell, but it's a very thin concealer, but very pigmented--full coverage in my opinion. The way I've been using this concealer is to make a tinted moisturizer, but instead of moisturizer I've been mixing it with my primer (a cheepie Rimmel one). It makes such a difference from using foundation and moisturizer. The concealer and primer lasts much longer, sets to a kind of matte velvety finish (which I still powder) and lasts and controls oil better than any foundation I've ever used. If I've worn makeup for the past two months, this is what I've been doing and I'm loving it!

This concealer also works  very well to conceal blemishes and dark circles, which I think is great because usually most concealers work well for one or the other. They'll either look really heavy under the eyes and cover blemishes perfectly, or look horrible over a blemish and amazing under the eyes. No such problems with this one. As long as the shade works for you in both areas, there is no reason to use two or eve three different concealers on your face like I see a lot of beauty gurus doing. The texture of this concealer is perfect--thin, but not runny. It's very comfortable to wear, never looks heavy or cakey, and really lasts all day.

And a little tip for covering blemishes: gently exfoliate the blemish before applying your makeup. A lot of times concealers apply cakey and dry looking on top of a pimple because they exaggerate the dry flakes of skin (as gross as this sounds lol). If you gently exfoliate the blemish, you're reducing the amount of dry skin around it, and therefore your concealer and foundation will apply much more smoothly. Just be careful--if the pimple is scabbing, DO NOT PULL THE SCAB OFF. That's one of the worst things you can do because it will inflame the area, meaning more redness, and it will also cause the pimple to heal slower. And you never really want to apply makeup to open skin, so just don't do it. This tip is more helpful when the pimple is gone, but there is still some dryness and a little red bump in the area.

Anyway, back to the review. This is a great multipurpose concealer. A little goes a really long way and it lasts very well.  Although it is more expensive than many drugstore concealers, if you're looking for that one concealer that does it all--check this one out!


Info:


Price: $20 (for 0.27 oz)

Ingredients: Sorry I don't have the package anymore and I can't find them online. If I find them, I will post them. And Smasbox not posting the full ingredients online--not cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment