Sunday, April 11, 2010

Review: Vaseline Lip Therapy in Cherry


So this is a review for Vaseline Lip Therapy balm in Cherry. It's kinda late, I know, cause most people have problems with chapped lips in the winter, but I hope this helps someone! My lips were really really chapped this winter. At one point, I actually had a scab on my lip which would open and bleed, that's how bad it was.


From the packaging, you can tell that I've really been using this balm a lot. I'm almost done!!!

The applicator:

I really like the packaging of this balm. I've really been hating lip balms/glosses that are potted. It's not that I'm afraid of germs cause I would usually just use hand sanitizer prior to using my product (and I don't share my makeup), but rather the mess that is left on my finger after. I don't always have a tissue on me, so cleanup is messy :( But I don't have this problem with this balm. Normally, however, I do not like these domed applicators because the product tends to seep out (like my C.O. Bigelow minty gloss), but that's not an issue here because the product is fairly thick.

In fact, half the fun of this product is watching it squeeze through the little hole in the applicator:



As you can see above, it's just a clear but thick gel/balm.

Here's a swatch:


My bare, poor chapped lips:


My nice, smooth, moisturized lips:


Now, first off, one thing I really like is what this balm is made out of. It's basically petroleum jelly, and I'm guessing white petroleum is just a purified version of the regular petroleum jelly as it doesn't have that stinky smell that regular Vaseline has (which is why I could never use it on my lips--I'd get grossed out by the smell).


For those of you who don't know, petroleum jelly doesn't actually moisturize lips. It repels water, so it seals the lips off, preventing moisture from evaporating by sealing it in. Petroleum jelly will not be absorbed into skin, so if you want to use stuff like the regular Vaseline to treat dry skin patches, it doesn't actually moisturize but rather prevents moisture from leaving. I feel that that is exactly what this balm does. If I put this on and then twenty mins later take it off, by lips don't feel any more moisturized than when I first put it on. However, if I use it over the course of three or four days, I see a marked improvement in my lips. Also, I like to wear this under gloss because it doesn't get absorbed by my lips so my lip gloss lasts much longer and doesn't dry out my lips as much. As for scent, it's labeled cherry, but really there is a very faint (VERY faint) scent to it. In fact, it's barely discernible. If you don't like flavored lip products, you'll love this balm. Overall, I think it's an ok balm. If you're looking for a quick fix for extremely chapped lips, this is not the product for you.

Info:

Price: $1.99 (for .35 oz)

Ingredients: White Petrolatum USP, Flavor, Sodium Saccharin

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment