Sunday, April 25, 2010

Review: Revlon Creme Gloss in Strike A Rose




This is a review for Revlon's Creme Gloss in Strike A Rose. This isn't my first try with the Creme Gloss line. I have a lighter shade called Slip Into Pink, a light pink with golden flecks of shimmer, but I hated the formula with it. I saw the line on sale about a month ago and decided to give them another try.

Here's the description from Revlon.com: "The next-generation in lip gloss with both full-coverage color and extreme gloss shine. Collagen complex and light reflecting particles give lips a fuller appearance. Vitamin E and collagen condition for ultra-soft lips. Unique flow-through brush offers smooth, even application. Available in 15 deeply pigmented, high gloss shades."

Yeah, it's a nice gloss, but not that nice. And I'd say it's more of a liquid lip color than a gloss. I didn't really notice my lips being softer, but neither did it dry out my lips.

The shade:

The real reason I decided to give this product another chance was the shade. I don't even know how to describe it--it's like a deepened plummy rose with some fine shimmer in it. The shade actaully reminds me a lot of Guerlain's lip products. It's just the kind of shade you'd see from Guerlain, a deepened, very shimmery rose. Actually, one of the reasons I kinda like this product better now than I did before is because of the shade. I think the other shade I had was too light and didn't look good with this type of formula.

The applicator:

The applicator is just a brush. You twist the end of the pen and product slowly comes up. I had to twist for like five mins before any product actually came out the first time, and then I got globs and globs of product, so be careful if you buy it.

One thing I don't like about the brush is how the product comes out. As the formula is a bit thicker than the ordinary gloss, it splits the brush in half and comes out the sides as opposed to the center.

Here's a pic of what I mean:

It's not that big of a deal, but I can get annoying after a while. And again, since the gloss is thicker than a normal one, it's a bit more difficult to spread on you lips with this brush. You have to really work at pulling it across the lip as the gloss is a bit tacky.

A swatch on my hand:

Isn't the shade so pretty!?

And another swatch:


On my lips in natural lighting:


On my lips indoors:

I don't know how well you can see, but it gives my lips such a pretty sheen of color. That's the only way I can describe it. And although you can't really see from the swatches, it's a teeny bit plumier in real life.

Overall, it is a good lip color. While the formula is a bit tacky, I don't think it's too sticky. However, if you don't like thicker glosses, don't buy. The formula, as indicated in the name ('creme') is thicker than the normal gloss, so it is a bit more difficult to spread on the lips. As for staying power, I'd say it's average. I know that it's supposed to be a lipstick/gloss hybrid, but really, like a gloss, it will wear less than a lipstick. There is no smell, but a bit of an odd taste, nothing bad in my opinion. As for the packaging, those who like more sophisticated packaging will like this product. It comes in a sleek black tube--no crazy colors/shapes/illustrations. Revlon's pretty good with packaging, imo. They are less flashy than some other brands, which I like. And finally, shade selection: I think it's ok. If you like neutrals, mauves, and reds, there's tons too choose from. I'd stay away from the lighter shades. With this formula, they don't apply as nicely as the darker shades. I'll post my review for the other shade I have to show you what I mean. All of the darker shades, you'll be able to tell in the store, are really well pigmented, which is definitely a plus for a drugstore brand. I highly recommend that you check out Strike A Rose and wait for a BOGO for Revlon at Walgreens or CVS or something. Ten dollars for a drugstore lip gloss...um, it better be amazing.

Info:

Price: $9.99

Ingredients: Polybutene, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Ozokerite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Silica Silylate, Di PPG 3 Myristyl Ether Adipate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Tocopherol, Soluble Collagen, Atelocollagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Phospholipids, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Benzoate, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2 Hexanediol, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Carmine (CI 75470) (CI 75470)

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment