Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Review: Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Cherries in the Glow


I know, I promised this review back when I first started this blogger, but the pics just somehow got lost in the crush, you know? Well, better late than never, right? This lip gloss is one of my favorite drugstore shades ever. I don't think I've encountered anything quite like it at the drugstore ever. And if you've been reading my blog then you know how much I absolutely adore Revlon cosmetics, and this gloss delivers!


The shade that I'm obsessing over is 80, Cherries In The Glow. It is a deep, mauvy red that applies fairly sheer and looks stunning! I purchased it because it reminded me of NARS' Dolce Vita gloss, only warmer. It's not all that similar to Dolce Vita, but it is gorgeous in itself. It has just this hint of coral to it that perks up the skin and makes it look more golden. I love how when I apply it, even though I've got color on my lips it doesn't feel like I've got a ton of makeup on because it applies sheer.

If you'll notice as well, all of the newer Super Lustrous glosses have SPF 15 included, which is a big plus in my opinion. Gloss, on you lips, does the same thing that oil on your body does in the sun. Glosses have oils in them that focus the suns rays, damaging skin and possibly causing cancer so it's important to wear SPF on the lips, especially in summer when we tend to spend a lot more time outside. The sunscreen in this gloss does contribute to its scent, but it doesn't reek of sunblock like others do.

The applicator:

Just your standard doe foot. I think it fits this gloss perfectly because the formula is just a bit thicker than your average gloss so you really need something stiff to spread it around the lips. It's not overly sticky, though, so don't be put off by the thicker texture.

A swatch:

Gorgeous right? Most times when drugstore brands do deeper shades of gloss they are so pigmented that they are nearly unwearable. They are almost like liquid lipsticks at times. This gloss, however, is perfect. Lately, I've been wearing it with a smoky eye. Now, you may think that it would be too strong, but as it applies sheer it looks really nice, not too overpowering. I find that if I leave my lips bare or only wear a light color with a smoky eye, I tend to look washed out as my skin is very pale. My eyes then look like I've been punched :/ This gloss is perfect because it's a bit of a midtone, so it's not too dark, but it balances the shadow well.

As far as the formula goes, Revlon got it spot on. It's a thick formula, but by no means is it thin. On me it lasts very very well, usually about 3-4 hours comfortably. I can't stand anything on my lips when I'm eating so I can't tell you how well it will last through a meal, but I've yet to come across a single gloss that lasts through a cup of coffee much less a meal. While this gloss doesn't have much of a smell, there is a bit of a cloying taste, but it's unnoticeable after a few minutes. The only complaint I have about this gloss is shade specific. This shade tends to emphasize cracks/wrinkles on chapped or mature lips as, since it is sheer, the gloss seeps into the lines, making them seem darker. It's not too bad, just make sure that your lips are moisturized. Other than that, this is a great, affordable gloss. Made by Revlon, so there are a gazillion shades to choose from, so even if this one isn't your cup of tea I'm positive you will find something that suits you.

Info:

Price: $6.99

Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Diisostearyl Malate, Polyethylene, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract (Aloe Barbadensis), Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Serica (Silk Powder), Fragance, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Benzoic Acid, BHT, 1,2 Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica, Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Red 27 Lake (CI 45410), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Blue 1 (CI 42090) (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470)

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment