Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: NARS Lip Gloss in Dolce Vita


I was going through my MacBook Pro when I got it back from the Apple store a few days ago and I came across a large batch of pictures from when I first started my blogger. I mentioned Dolce Vita in my last post, the review on Revlon's Super Lustrous gloss in Cherries in the Glow so I thought I'd post it. I actually photographed them the same day more than a year ago, haha, and then totally forgot about them!


Dolce Vita is my favorite shade of all time. Of all the drugstore and high end mauvy shades that I've come across this one is the only one that has enough pink in it (as opposed to brown) that it doesn't age me if I wear it full on. While the formula isn't one of my favorite,s the shade is perfect for me. It makes my blue eyes look amazing!

The applicator:

If you've never tried any of the glosses from NARS let me tell you, they are very thick, and you really need the doe foot to apply it. This is one of my biggest complaints about most of the NARS glosses. They are very thick and difficult to spread across you bare lips. I usually wear gloss over a balm anyway, but I know that many prefer to apply straight to the lips which can be uncomfortable. I also find it odd how NARS isn't consistent with the formula of their glosses. Some, like Giza, are perfect. They apply very smoothly, while others, like Dolce Vita and Striptease, are thick and difficult to wear. At first I thought that it was perhaps the shimmery ones that apply more difficultly because I don't have any problems with Chihuahua either, but Dolce Vita is matte as well so I've got no idea why there is such a discrepancy in texture.

Anyway, here's a swatch:

As you can see, it is VERY VERY pigmented. Like, crazy pigmented. It's a gorgeous cool mauve shade, a bit more on the rosy side. Really pretty with blue eyes and beige eyeshadow or just black eye liner!

A lip swatch:

It makes my lips look very pretty! It looks great with black eyeliner and mascara. It gives my lips this almost smoky/sultry look without being too over the top. If you like nudes of mauves than this is the must have shade for you!

However, while the shade is gorgeous, there are many aspects of this gloss that I absolutely hate. First off, the texture. Very thick, difficult to spread. Second, it smells, just absolutely reeks. Kinda like plastic and rubber. Ugh. It's not noticeable after a few minutes, but still, gross. Third, the packaging. I loved it at first because it didn't show my finger prints, but after a while you notice how everything sticks to it. Every bit of oil from your fingers, the powder you applied, the bit of glitter from you eye makeup, the pencil/pen in you bag. Everything ends up on the case and I find myself wiping it every few applications.

Not everything is bad, though. One HUGE plus for this gloss is the pigmentation. I apply this one over a balm so it's a lot more spreadable so I don't have to use as much. In fact, a little goes a long way and it gives really good shine. Usually I find that NARS glosses don't apply that shiny, more toned down which is good for work, but I find that this one applies very shiny, almost with a lacquer finish. I would recommend this gloss to anyone who likes rosier mauve shades. Otherwise, you may be too annoyed with the texture and smell of this gloss to wear it. I've been thinking of getting the lipstick version, but I'm gonna try to finish this one first.

Info:

Price: $24

Ingredients: Lanolin Oil, Polyisobutene, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Myristyl Lactate, Ozokerite, Cera Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera Wax), Tocopheryl Acetate, Propylparaben, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, 77492, 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 15850 (Red 6, Red 7 Lake), CI 45380 (Red 22 Lake), CI 45410 (Red 28 Lake), CI 73360 (Red 30 Lake), CI 17200 (Red 33 Lake), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 75470 (Carmine)

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment