Sunday, June 20, 2010

Review: AcneFree Terminator Spot Control Gel (Benzoyl Peroxide)


So after using Clean Advantage Acne Spot Treatment for the past five years I didn't think that I'd ever find anything that works better. Well, I did. I'd recently run out and, when I was at Ocean State Job Lot I spotted Acne Free's Terminator Spot Control Gel for $4. Now, I'd never tried anything from Acne Free so I was a bit curious. And this a benzoyl peroxide treatment, not salacylic acid, like I'm used to and I wanted to see how well this would compare. I have to say that it blew Clean and Clear Advantage out of the park! It's that good!


The gel is 2% benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide works by killing the bacteria that causes acne. As it is an oxidizing agent, it infuses the inflamed area with oxygen. This kills the bacteria as it likes an oxygen free environment.


One major reason that I really like this gel over Clean and Clears is the packaging. This one is in a squeeze tube with a flip top. Clean and Clears has a tiny little screw off cap. I don't like it cause I tend to lose the cap every now and then and have to hunt around for it, which is annoying beyond belief especially when I'm in a a hurry or just really tired. The flip top is definitely more convenient.

Here's the actual product:

It's a bit of a chunkier/thicker gel. I am in love with this product. While the gel is a bit thick (thicker than the C & C one) it dries very quickly and perfectly clear. The C & C one takes longer to dry and it feels odd. It has this odd texture and if you touch it it tends to rub off in these weird crumbles. The Acne Free one I can easily wear under makeup--it doesn't have any odd texture to it when it dries. Also, this gel works overnight. If I put it on before I go to sleep I see dramatic results the next morning. With the C & C gel I don't see results for at least two days. Also, unlike the C & C one, this one doesn't irritate or dry out my skin. When I put the C & C gel on I feel this strong tingle, an almost burning sensation. I used to be like, "Oh, well that's ok. At least I know it's working." I subscribed to the notion that harsh skincare was the only kind that worked, which is soooo wrong. Anyway, after using the C & C gel my skin would be sooo dry in that area. I would always hate to put concealer on as it would look so obvious over the dry, flaky, scaly skin. I have no such problem with the Acne Free gel. My skin doesn't dry out and it doesn't tingle/burn. It's very gentle but also effective at the same time, which I love!!! I'd tried Neutrogena's On The Spot acne cream which I was told was a gentle formula. It didn't work at all, so after that I would look for harsher products thinking that if I could feel them working they'd be more effective. Anyway, I was wrong and I've been treating my skin a lot more gently. Anyway, this gel is really good and I highly recommend it to everyone!!!

Oh, and if you're interested in Acne Free products, check out Ocean State Job Lot if you live near one. They had three step sets for $10, a 50% savings from the retail price!

Info:

Price: $5.99 (that's retail--I got it for $4 at Ocean State Job Lot)

Ingredients: Benzoyl Peroxide (2%), Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Methylpropanediol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract (Licorice), Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree), Bisabolol, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Algae (Seaweed) Extract (Seaweed), Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates (Vitamin E), Artemisia Vulgaris Oil (Mugwort/Armoise), Triclosan, Willow Bark Extract, Iodopropynyl Butlycarbamate, Diazolidinyl Carbamide

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was bought by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment