Thursday, March 3, 2011

{Tip Thursday} Traveling With Skincare and Makeup

So traveling with makeup and skin care items can be tricky. There are many restrictions on what you can and can't bring in your carry on, I worry about things breaking, spilling, cracking, etc, and this is how I pack to prevent that from happening. Keep in mind that while this may work for me, you may want to take a few more precautions, especially if you are going to be bringing expensive items with you. I'll have some more tips at the very end of the post about cracking powders, etc, so make sure you read till the end.

1. Airport Rules
-According to the 2011 rules, you are only allowed to bring liquids or gels that are 3oz in size or less in your carry on. If you want to bring something larger than 3 oz you can, you just have to put it in your checked luggage.

-If you re bringing liquids or gels on the plane, they have to be in a clear bag 1 quart in size or smaller and each passenger can only bring one 1 qt bag with them.

It's pretty simple, really. Just make sure to check the sizes of your containers because you will be surprised that quite a few of liquid or gel skin care products are less than 3 oz to begin with so you may not even have to repackage them. I checked luggage so I didn't have to worry too much about this. I did repackage some items cause I didn't want to be lugging around a huge thing of skincare and makeup because if your checked luggage exceeds 50 lbs then you have to pay more than the regular $25 fee (at LaGuardia). IMPORTANT: always check the TSA or the airport website the night before to make sure that you aren't surprised by any changes in policy. It takes 2 mins and can save you a lot of time and hassle later.

2. Makeup: What To Bring
As a general rule, I like to bring the basics, all in one products (or multipurpose products) and nothing I would be devastated about if it is lost or breaks.

What I brought to St. Lousi
Revlon Eyelash Curler, Sephora Professional Eye Primer, Pixi Eye Bright Liner in Nude, Pangea Organics Ecocentric Pyrenees Lavender Lip Balm, Shiseido Lipstick in RS701 Serenity, Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara in Black, Lancome Artliner in Black, Chanel Lipstick in Darling (sample size), Josie Maran The Wildflowers Palette, CoverGirl Clean Foundation for oily skin, and Calvin Klein Bronzer in Summer Affaire. (Not pictured: NYC Smooth Skin Loose Powder).

Josie Maran The Wildflowers Palette, CoverGirl Clean Foundation, CK Summer Affaire Bronzer.

I chose items that I either can't go without like my current foundation or favorite bronzer, or products that are very multipurpose. This Josie Maran palette is very small so it's very convenient for travel but it also has everything I need for an everyday look as well as an edgier night look.

And you can see my cute Victorias Secret Pink pjs, lol!

Lips:
Pangea Orgnics Ecocentric Lip Balm in Pyrenees Lavender, Shiseido Lipstick in RS701 Serenity, and Chanel Darling Lipstick (deluxe sample).

For lips, I don't usually go dark so I just brought my everyday color, which is anything like Chanel Darling, and something a bit more nude for an evening out.

Swatches:
Pyrenees Lavender Lip Balm, Shiseido Lipstick in Serenity RS701, Chanel Darling Lipstick.

Eyes:
Lancome Artliner in Plum, Shiseido Liner in 07 Brown, Pixi Eye Bright Liner in Nude, Sephora Professional Eye Primer, and Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara in Black.

For eyes, I choose products I know work for me. I brought the one Josie Maran shadow palette and then just chose fool proof products that I knew would compliment the shades. When you're away traveling the last thing you want to worry about is how to apply your makeup so just go for what you know works for you. Just make sure you bring something like liquid liner so that if you need to go from day to night in two mins you can..

A white or nude liner is especially handy if you spend a lot of nights out or are just tired and jet lagged. A little on the waterline and in the inner corners makes a world of difference.

3. Repackage items in smaller more portable containers.

Face powder:
I love NYC's Smooth Skin Loose Powder in Translucent, but lets face it, the thing is HUGE. Not to mention the fact that the lid pull of, but doesn't screw off which has the potential for a huge mess.

My solution:
I bought a $4 travel sifter at Sephora and put about a teaspoon inside. I would advise with loose powders that you tape the holes in the sifter shut so that when you open it you aren't surprised to find all of the powder above the sifter.

Eye cream:
I love the little sample containers from Sephora. They're free and the perfect size for a few days supply of any cream.

Face moisturizers:

From this:
Large irregular containers. The serum is in a glass jar as well, so it is in danger of breaking.

To this:
Just make sure to label the bottom of the contact cases so you remember what is in what. And make sure the container is clean.

Face wash:
I put a weeks supply of my facial cleanser into a 1 oz jar from a used up moisturizer. This is how much was left after I came back, so I got the amount just right. I like the screw on jars better than the squeeze tubes because the squeeze tubes with the flip tops tend to come open.

Things you can't really repackage:
You need to shake the sunblock before using, so don't bother with that. The texture of the foundation is very thick so it doesn't pour easily so I didn't bother trying to get it out into a smaller container.

Eye makeup remover--you want the child proof cap so that it doesn't leak an oil into all of your stuff. You can bring makeup wipes but I don't think they work on eye makeup as well as an oil based makeup remover. As far as perfume goes, take a roller or a travel spritzer. It's still glass, but smaller than the full size bottle. Just make sure to wrap it very well. My favorite toner spray is the DDF Aloe Toning Spray, and I took it in the original packaging cause the spray is finer than the one on any travel spray container. I use it multiple times every single makeup application so it's worth it to me to bring the full size.

4. Hair Care
Save all of those little samples you get at the drugstore or in the mail. It's a lot easier than bringing your own full size products. And while hotel samples are getting better, not all of them are the best quality.

5. Invest in Ziplock Baggies
I just used the regular sandwich size cause I wasn't bringing any of this stuff in a carry on. Basically, anything you worry about spilling/breaking/leaking should go in a plastic baggie. Trust me, there is nothing worse than having a foundation bottle break in your suitcase. Nothing.

You can just put any cotton pads, q-tips or anything in a ziplock as well, no need to buy the travel packs if you already have everything you need.

6. Find a nice, mid-sized makeup case.
IMPORTANT: The way to make sure that nothing breaks or cracks is by packaging your items so that nothing shakes or jiggles. If there is a lot of room between the items they will hit each other causing powders to crack and glass items to break. This is how I keep my powder eyeshadows, bronzer, etc, from breaking. I don't bother putting cotton balls/pads inside the containers. I've never had a powder eyeshadow or anything like that break for me while traveling if I make sure to pack the stuff very tightly.

I fit ALL of what I showed you in this post in a medium sized makeup case from Estee Lauder that I got with a gift with purchase a long time ago. It is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. I also like that it has the handle above. It makes carrying it easier and I don't have to worry about dropping it. If you're going for less than 2 weeks then there is no reason why you should need to bring more than this much makeup.

I know this was a very long post but I hope I gave some useful tips! If you have any other tips or tricks for getting your stuff to and from your destination in one piece don't hesitate to let me know in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment