Tuesday, March 22, 2011

{Review} Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer (For Combo Skin)

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you probably know how much I love gel moisturizers, especially those from Clinique. I've gone through several bottles of their Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel and their Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief Moisturizer. However, while my skin feels better, they make my wallet ache. As far as moisturizers go, they aren't as expensive as other brands. But, for what they are, mildly moisturizing gels, they are a bit pricey. So, when I came across Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin, I just had to try it. A friend of mine who has tried it said it was a gel moisturizer so I just had to give it a try. And shocker: it's actually pretty good!

Important: although this moisturizer says it's for combo skin, it really will only work well for people with strictly oily skin. I've tried it on several friends with combo skin and it does absolutely nothing for their dry areas.

What it claims:
"Noncomedogenic, alcohol-free, allergy tested, fragrance-free, moisturizes dry areas, won't make oily areas shiny, and will keep oily areas matte throughout the day." That is a lot. For a drugstore moisturizer that cost $11.99, that is a lot. Heck for my HG Clinique stuff that's a lot lol! But we'll see...

Ok, so one thing I'm loving about this moisturizer is the pump. I've never been a fan of the Clinique DD Gel pump because the square shape makes using the pump a bit awkward. That and it dispenses too small of an amount in one pump, but two pumps is a teeny bit too much. This pump gives a generous amount with one pump that is enough for the face and the neck. And the bottle fits comfortably in the hand.

A swatch:
This is one pump. As you can see, it's a liquidy gel formula that is quite thin.

And rubbed in:

It absorbs right into the skin within a minute. It doesn't leave any kind of greasy film or anything like that, so there is no shine on the skin right after you apply it. Now, Neutrogena claims that this moisturizer will control shine throughout the day. Well, it doesn't. In fact, I've yet to come across a moisturizer that actually controls shine. I've used DDF, Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, etc. They may claim to do so, but none of the ones I've used so far have actually kept my face from getting shiny. With this moisturizer my face gets shiny in about the same amount of time it usually does. It I apply it at 7 am, when I'm usually getting ready, then my face will get shiny around noon. It doesn't make my face greasy though because it does absorb quickly, but that's not the same as keeping my face matte.

It's also important to note that Neutrogena also claims that this moisturizer will moisturize dry areas on combo skin types. Well, it doesn't. In fact, if you have combo skin I wouldn't use this product at all. I've tried it on several of my friends who have combo skin and most of them said that the areas where they had some dryness this moisturizer did nothing, even when I applied an extra layer. I've read a lot of reviews on this moisturizer online as well, and people with combo skin rated this product low while people with oily skin rated it high. This moisturizer is basically a mild day moisturizer for people with oily skin. It is good for people with oily skin because we tend to have fairly well moisturized skin to begin with so we don't need as much moisture. People with combo skin, however, have areas on their faces which do need a bit more moisture which this moisturizer will not deliver.

What I also like about this moisturizer is that it layers fairly well under makeup as well. Sometimes whenI layer moisturizers under makeup my face tends to get oilier faster. Not so with this moisturizer. It absorbs within a minute and leaves my face well hydrated for makeup. The only problem I now have is that it doesn't have an SPF, just like the Clinique version, so I've been mixing this with my Neutrogena Liquid Sunblock. Both formulas are so thin that for the most part they do not make my face oilier. That being said, I've been testing them out at the end of winter so my face tends to be a bit less oily to begin with. When summer comes I'll probably use less of the moisturizer, but for now it works well for me.

In the end, a great moisturizer for people with only oily skin, not so for those with combo skin. It is very similar to Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. For the price, I'd actually say the better buy!

Pros:
-Light weight.
-Doesn't clog pores.
-Didn't break me out.
-Layers well under makeup.
-No strong scent.
-Doesn't make my face oily.
-Good price.
-Absorbs very quickly.

Cons:
-Doesn't mattify like it claims.
-Doesn't moisturize dry areas like it claims.
-No SPF.

Info:

Price: $11.99

Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Methyl Methacrylate Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Lysine Carboxymethyl Cysteinate, Lysine Thiazolidine Carboxylate, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Silica, Xanthan Gum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Benzalkonium Chloride.

Disclosure: The product featured in this post was purchased by me for the purpose of my personal use. If you have any further questions about disclosure, don't hesitate to ask in comments.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have combination skin with dry patches here and there so...this moisturizer probably won't be a good match for my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you could give it a try, but I really don't think so :( But thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete