Thursday, July 21, 2011

{Review} St. Ives Warming Scrub


One thing that is essential for any time of the year is exfoliation. The rising trend of warming scrubs has really intrigued me because I can't seem to wrap my mind around getting heat on contact with water. I know, it's all in the chemicals, but it always boggles my mind haha! Although I don't really get much warming from this particular scrub, it does leave my face feeling very very smooth!


What separates this scrub from others is that it is not tested on animals or contain any animal ingredients, parabens, or phthalates. It is also made with natural exfoliates, but what the exfoliate actually is isn't listed on the packaging. Sucrose is listed as one of the ingredients, so it could be sugar, but that's just a guess.

I do like how Earth friendly St. Ives has become, but at the same time I've noticed that their products are getting more and more expensive as well. This scrub retails for $7.99. For a brand like St. Ives, that's a lot. I can get a scrub from Olay for around that much. They also have scrubs for around $10, which granted, isn't going to bankrupt me, but at the same time is a bit pricey for a drugstore brand.


Now onto the actual product. I like the dispenser, a simple squeeze tube with a generously sized opening. One thing I've noticed with warming scrubs is that they tend to be a bit thicker than regular scrubs, and they can be difficult to squeeze out. No such problem with this one.


The texture of the product is thicker than a normal scrub, but thinner than some of the other warming scrubs that I've tried. It is very densely packed with abrasives which are suspended in a foaming cleanser. I like that it's not a cream based scrub because those don't work well with my skin and I end up having to cleanse after as well. This scrub rinses clean without leaving any residue behind. This product does have a strong smell, for those with sensitive skin or noses. Oddly enough, it smells a bit like laundry detergent. Not bad, but strange in a facial product.

My only complaint about this product is that it doesn't really warm much. Getting the scrub to warm when I use it is very difficult. I have to apply it in just the right way, and even then the warmth lasts only a few seconds. I've tried warming scrubs from Olay and Aveeno and their warming scrubs give off at least 10 seconds of warmth. I know, that's not exactly a lot, but much better than this one. honestly, most times I just use this as a regular scrub because getting the warming action to work is just too much hassle.

The really good thing about this scrub, however, is that the abrasive is gentle. Although the cleanser is densely packed with little particles, they are not rough or scratchy like the particles in their Apricot Scrub are. If you're looking for a much gentler scrub, this one is a good choice. At around $8 it is a bit pricey for drugstore, but if you see it on sale definitely consider getting one!

Info:
Price: $7.99
Ingredients: PEG 8, Glycerin, Glycereth 18 Ethylhexanoate, Sucrose, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Glycereth 18, Glyceryl Caprylate, Jojoba Esters, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetyl Alcohol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360)

No comments:

Post a Comment