Wednesday, July 4, 2012

{Review} Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light

Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light


















Hey there! Today's review is for a product I absolutely adore. I've gone through probably two or three of Stila's Sheer Pressed Powder and I have yet to find a powder that works as well for me.

When it comes to higher end products that obviously cost more, I usually try to find cheaper alternatives, especially if I foresee myself repurchasing a product multiple times in the future. I haven't yet been able to find a drugstore alternative for this powder, but I was able to find it a lot cheaper than the $28 retail price. I was at the Cosmetic Market in NYC last summer (see the haul post here) and I found this powder for $6.99 and stocked up. I don't know if they still have it, but if you live in or around NYC or will be visiting sometime, it's worth checking out.
                                                                                                                                                            
Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light

The compact is a simple silver plastic case that has these cute little flowers on it. Not as chic as anything from from Chanel or Dior, but pretty. It's durable and doesn't show smudges or scratches easily.

Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light



















Another thing I like is that the compact is reusable. There's a little hole in the bottom, you just poke a pencil or something and the pan pops right out. Stila no longer sells the pan refill to this powder alone, not that there was a big price difference between the powder with the case and the refill alone anyway. I figure even if I can't find the refill powder from Stila I can reuse this case because I've had plenty of powders in a similar size that the clasp has broken or the case is really bulky. I think I can just repot them into this case if I wanted to. I've gone through so many of these powders that I've got four or five of these empty cases lying around.

Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light
The shade I have this powder in is light. It comes with a thin little foamy sponge, but I toss it right away and just use a brush.

Stila Sheer Pressed Powder in Light (HEAVY swatch)



















This swatch here is a very HEAVY swatch. I just wanted to show you how finely milled this powder is. The texture is very very soft and thin, almost translucent. I find that it applies as thinly as a translucent powder, but it does have some color to it. If I wear it alone, I can't really notice any difference, but it takes to tinted moisturizer very well and definitely ups the coverage level.

I love this powder for the finish it gives. It mattifies my face completely without looking cakey or powdery. It leaves my face with this flawless silky finish to it that makes my skin look a lot better than it usually is. If I'm ever going out or have a formal event, I reach for this powder without fail because I know it will look stunning in pictures. It last like your average powder does. I apply it in the morning around 6 or 7 am (when at uni) and then touch up around 1 pm and then again around 5 pm. Not great, but not horrible either given how oily my skin is.

Bottom line: try this powder!!! I've been using it for years and I love it more than any other powder I've ever used!

Info:

Price: $28


Ingredients: talc, polymethyl methacrylate, silica, zea mays (corn) starch, octyldodecyl lactate, isononyl isononanoate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, avena sativa (oat) kernel extract, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, dimethicone, zeolite, nylon-12, zinc stearate, bht, phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid, [+/- mica, titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ultramarines (ci 77007)]

No comments:

Post a Comment