Monday, May 20, 2013

{Skincare} My Attempts At Going More Natural

Over the past few months I've started the process of going more natural with skin care.

I made the decision to try this due to several factors. For one, many of the heavily scented products have been making me ITCH LIKE CRAZY. My neck, chest, and arms would be covered in red welts from itching after I applied my body lotion. Not all scented products were making me itch, but enough that I started to get concerned.

I've also started to do some research about the many chemicals that are in some beauty products that has absolutely floored me. For one, when I started to itch I bought a "hypoallergenic" unscented body lotion. I was shocked to find that this word means absolutely NOTHING. NADA. A brand can use this term in any way that they want to because there are no federal guidelines that govern it's use. So that unscented/fragrance free body lotion isn't any better than the scented one because it will usually have a masking agent that masks the nasty scent of the other chemicals in it. I don't know about you, but that kinda freaks me out a little bit.

And finally: cost. I've been looking into the cost of natural and/or organic products and surprisingly there are a lot of products that are fairly inexpensive. I know almost everyone thinks that natural and organic (there is a BIG difference!!!) products are super expensive (and they can be), but that's not necessarily the case. I've found a lot of different brands that offer high quality luxury makeup and body care products that are either priced the same as their counterparts or even cheaper.

So this post wasn't meant to scare you away. Honestly, I'm only in the early early stages of this process. I still have a lot of non natural/organic products that I will want to finish up. To be perfectly honest, I know right now that there are some products that I will not do without and will continue to buy even though they are not natural or organic. They just do the job for me. On the other hand, there are tons of products that I can easily replace with better, more natural alternatives that work just as well. That's where my focus is right now. I'm not going super super super green, I'm just becoming a little bit more conscious about what I purchase and put on my body now. I will be sharing some of my experiences and opinions coming soon.

In the mean time, please don't let this post scare you! As always I still love makeup and beauty and all things pretty :) If you have any requests please feel free to leave them in comments.

xoxo
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment